Thursday, December 10, 2020

Questions for I am Residency-Brett Waller video production project.

 Brett Waller has asked me to produce a series of questions about my art practice.

------------------------------------


My first inclination is to consider the conversations I have had with Brett Waller in the past. The topics always find a low spot in the topography of how we align ourselves in a survival-day to day. I suspect this to be Brett's and my own predisposition to the narrative of the myth of the heroic individual. How living in a 5th tier city puts us on the front lines of art and its cultural irrelevancy. If I were to telescope out and try to plug in to a bigger picture, I would assert that it comes down to the way people are changing psychologically/socially. Humans and the need for meaning. How we adjusting to the phenomenon of rapid change in contemporary political and economic systems of order. The direction these systems are evolving in require specific behavior and reactions from the humans that make up that systems ecology. I am not sure the best way to describe contemporary American society as "capitalist". Far from an ideal -ist or ism Americans are way more involved in rewarding aggressive machiavellian  behavior with success than smaller more economically vulnerable entities currently pursuing and implementing more innovative or creative solutions to problems. Our systems of governance likewise identify fiercely with private interests. It is difficult to discern between public and private interest. Public interest has developed a full fledged identity crisis. Public interest needs have become gaslighted and folded into the needs of private interest.  (not all the way through this article but probably stated better there: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/capitalist-ideology-and-the-myth-of-the-individual-self-part-1_b_58065ff4e4b0dd54ce358acf) 







No comments:

Post a Comment